May 03, 2008 at 03:56 pm
1) What is the first website (other than your own or email) that you visit in the morning? I’m a newly converted netvibes user/abuser.
2) What is the most interesting bit of information that you’ve picked up in the past month? The most active 2% of users on Wikipedia , which is 1400 people, have done 75% of all the edits on Wikipedia or something like that.
3) How would you describe your taste/interest in music? Love, drugs, + hugs: melted, brought to a boil, cooled for 5 mins, and then salted to taste…
4) Name five of your favorite songs at the moment (in no particular order).
1) Spring is Here – Nina Simone
2) Age Ain’t Nothing But a Number – Alliyah
3) Lonesome Sundown – The Halo Benders
4) Kids – Mgmt
5) Two Daughters + Beautiful Wife – Drive By Truckers
5) Name five of your favorite albums of all time (in no particular order). — In that case. I did away w/ the numbers. And another thing , “all time” is tooo much pressure …
+ Bee Thousand – Guided By Voices
+ Astral Weeks- Van Morrison
+ In An Airplane Over The Sea – Neutral Milk Hotel
+ Closing Time – Tom Waits
+ Little Creatures – Talking Heads
6) What are some songs to which you have a particular emotional attachment? Historically:
Recently: The Way The Lazy Do – Dr. Dog, Maple Leaves- Jens Lekman, Los Angeles – Decemberists, I Think We Gonna Be Friends – White Stripes, Wear Your Love Like Heaven – Donovan, songs from the Monsoon Wedding movie, Coyote – Joni Mitchell,
7) How did you first get interested in music and how has your taste developed since then? My father sang TV jingles to me in the womb. It set up family influenced musical interest. Our car trip playlist was a colorful blend of soundtracks, greatest hits, classic albums. Think: Tom Petty, Waiting To Exhale, Fiddler On The Roof, Talking Heads – Little Creatures. … Joint X-mas gifts were A Boy Name Goo – Goo Goo Dolls , TLC – Waterfalls, + Coolio. A tape recorder gave way to the ultra low fi cover of Sublime’s “What I Got.” Lots of classic rock + “oldies pop” preceded a period of hippy expiermental sillyness I thought was cool to listen to. But, really I just wanted to listen to the two R. Kelly cds I had. One for my room. One for travel. I became “indie-fied”@ college Ithaca. Elliot Smith, Decemberists, Broken Social Scene, Coco Rosie, etc.
8 ) What are some of your musical guilty pleasures? Any female vocalists/groups from pop lady empowerment era of 90-00′s. Or anything that will make everyone want to dance @ a family wedding.
9) If you were running for President in 2008, what song would you use as your campaign theme? I thought common was running for president in the ” the people” video.
10) What is your opinion on downloading copyrighted material without paying for it? I just downloaded my very own first torrent today. I am conflicted and excited.
Now, for her and your listening pleasure (hopefully), a mix.
Listen to an 8Tracks mix HERE or here:
1) Woody Allen – Love And Death
2) Buddy Miles – Dreams
3) Arif Sag – Osman Pehlivan
4) Japan – A Foreign Place
5) The Glands – Swim
6) Tyrannosaurus Rex – Strange Orchestras
7) Elf Power – Olde Tyme Waves
8 )Carla Thomas – Something Good (Is Going To Happen To You)
9) Dr. John – Loop Garoo
10) Oui Oui – Ma Maison
11) The Persuasions – You Are What You Is (Frank Zappa Cover)
12) Michael Hurley – Moon Song
13) Delta 5 – Try
14) The dB’s – Cycles Per Second
15) Pere Ubu – The Modern Dance
16) Talking Heads – Road To Nowhere (Early Version)
17) Laura Cantrell – Big Wheel
18) Lefty Frizzell – Cigarettes And Coffee Blues
19) Dolly Parton – The Seeker
20) Spiritualized – Ladies & Gentleman, We Are Floating In Space
21) Blondie – Once I Had A Love (The Disco Song) (1978 Early Version)
22) Jad Fair And Yo La Tengo – Nevada Man Invents Piano With 21 Extra Keys
23) Jake Holmes – High School Hero