March 22, 2008 at 05:28 pm
A veteran of battling punk gangs in China, Mr. Christie has most recently braved death as a website designer and fundraiser for the Oswegatchie Educational Center in upstate New York. Prior to that, he taught English in South Korea as a Fulbright scholar.
A lover of life, his friends know him to say, “I’m so glad we did this,” whenever he is chowing on almost any form of food.
1) What is the first website (other than your own or email) that you visit in the morning? Either Slate, The New York Times, Rotten Tomatoes, or Grist
2) What is the most interesting bit of information that you’ve picked up in the past month? James Kellogg, father of breakfast, developed cereal to curb masturbation in young people, and held a number of weird-ass beliefs about sex.
3) How would you describe your taste/interest in music? Hard to define and unfocused
4) Name five of your favorite songs at the moment (in no particular order).
1) Spiral Stairs By Elf Power
2) Tei! Tei! Tei! By POLYSICS
3) Good Hearted Woman by Willie Nelson
4) Who is He and What is He to You? by Bill Withers
5) The Lucky One by Au Revoir Simone
5) Name five of your favorite albums of all time (in no particular order).
1) At the Five Spot by Eric Dolphy
2) More Songs about Buildings and Food by Talking Heads
3) Paradise and Lunch by Ry Cooder
4) Phrenology by the Roots
5) Roxy and Elsewhere by Zappa
6) What are some songs to which you have a particular emotional attachment? The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys by Traffic
7) How did you first get interested in music and how has your taste developed since then? I listened to what my dad listened to (and still do!), but am heavily influenced by my friends. I guess I’m pretty lazy about music and try to get acquainted with whatever is accessible.
What are some of your musical guilty pleasures? Pop Country and Classic Rock Station Playlists in addition to Simply Red, and some Neil Diamond.
9) If you were running for President in 2008, what song would you use as your campaign theme? I Won’t Back Down by Petty
10) What is your opinion on downloading copyrighted material without paying for it? Music like all art and information wants to be free. I think that we’ll see major changes in how record companies distribute content in the near future. However, the law is the law, and until it changes, illegal downloaders are responsible for their behavior.
Here are some songs that are bound for his iPod.
Listen to an 8Tracks mix HERE or here:
1) Demetri Martin – Six Organs Of Admittance – Intro
2) Hank III – Hellbilly Joker
3) Bruce McCulloch – When You’re Fat
4) Lou Reed – Kicks
5) Lee Hazlewood – White People Thing
6) Bobby Bare – Detroit City
7) Bobby Bryant – Happiness Is A Warm Gun (Beatles Cover)
8 ) Theoretical Girls – US Millie
9) Bobby Charles – Save Me Jesus
10) Jack White – Never Far Away
11) She And Him – Why Do You Let me Stay Here?
12) Giorgio Moroder – Mah Na Mah Na
13) Shirley Bassey – Spinning Wheel
14) John Doe – Pressing On (Bob Dylan Cover)
15) Aaron McGuire – New Ways
16) Santo And Johnny – Love Theme From The Godfather (Nino Rota Cover)
17) Phil Lee – Carl’s Got Louise
18) Still Flyin’ – Rope Burn
19) Lonesome Bob – Heaven’s Gate
20) Andrew Bird’s Bowl Of Fire – Some Of These Days, Chinatown My Chinatown